Sunday, March 22, 2009

GROWING OLDER, HUMBLY AND GRACEFULLY

Last summer, we had the opportunity to use our extra "guest room" a few times and have Makaafi's, Ellen and Pietsch's stay with us. I usually use that closet to put my out of season clothes in but decided to box up all my winter clothes instead so that our "guests" could comfortably spread out.


So I found a sturdy cardboard box, boxed them up, summer came and went and then come November I needed the long sleeves again. I couldn't find that box of clothes anywhere! I looked everywhere. Lost. I went through all the boxes in the garage. Disappeared. I asked Dave, I called Ellen - no one had a clue. Gone forever. Sob!



Finally I just gave up, figuring they had gone to Goodwill accidently with the things the Pietsch's left for Goodwill when they moved to Sweden. I mourned most for my hot pink faux suede shirt, my black and red striped silk type shirt and my hardly worn, personalized black hooded KHS/Student Accounts/Mrs. Kossub sweatshirt.



A few weeks ago when in a fit of cleaning and organizing, I pulled this big plastic tub of food storage out from under the bed to see what needed to be eaten, thrown out, etc.








So now I want to know what did I do with all the food storage that was in here and when did I make the swap??? I was totally speechless when I opened this container. I do not remember doing this one teensy bit. Sheesh!





And while we're on the subject of that bedroom.





The question was posed a while back, asking where does anyone get things these days other than on Craig's list. While Dave does browse Craig's list from time to time, and we have made a purchase from it, we are still old school and go garage sale shopping. A few weeks ago, he came running into the house on a Saturday morning and said to hop in the car and come see what I thought. So I did, and I thought like he did, and remember that bed you guys have all slept on in the "guest room"? It's looking pretty good now with its new headboard and footboard!







$20.00!!!

And no comments about the afghan. I know the colors are loud and garish, but it is hand crocheted by some dear dear Tongan women and was given to us with love. I simply can't bear to part with it. May all who sleep in this bed feel the "specialness" of this afghan. You will never be cold, that's for sure!! It weighs a ton!

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is a great head and foot board! I can hardly wait to come this summer and sleep in that bed! I'll bet One felt right at home with that afghan.
    Craigslist is a part of Fo'ou's daily routine now. Does not feel complete without it. But it still doesn't beat cruisin' through the neighborhoods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cracking up about your storage problem! Love you Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - you seriously don't remember doing that? Yikes! I'm glad you have them back now. :)

    LOVE the bed, AND I love that afghan too!

    ReplyDelete