Monday, March 2, 2009

Missing Life






In looking for a quote by one of my favorite people, Norman Rockwell, I found the one you see on the right. I didn't add it right away, or think about it much until, for the last three times I have walked out into our back yard, I have been bowled over by the wonderful, heavy smell of the orange blossoms, just beginning to cover our tree. If I take a picture up close and personal like this, I bet you can smell it too!


'Camon now, big huge lungs full. Isn't it great???

Then I remembered the quote I had found about a week ago an got to looking at what I am missing in my own back yard.


Like this!

We (who am I kidding - Dave) have planted these gorgeous lillies under our bedroom window. The bright bright orange against our new green walls bordered by the red brick is so pretty. I notice and re-notice them every time I go outside. Hopefully these lillies will thrive in the shade. So far all the other plants we've chosen haven't liked it there.



And, out in the sunshine....








Aren't pansies one of the best flowers around??? And this little palm tree works so well in this spot. We'll see what the chlorine does to it this summer, but for now, we are loving it!









And when I look at this, my mouth just waters. The tangerines are superb this year and it is so luxurious to walk out back, pick one and enjoy!







We love going to the Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach every summer. That is where we have found all of these pieces. They are fun and whimsical and I didn't realize until just last summer that we are getting a pretty good collection. Can't wait for this summer's selection - after all - things in an odd number are more pleasing to the eye!








And last but certainly not least.... a reminder for us all!

3 comments:

  1. Missing Life . . . Missing Gramma and Grampa's backyard . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mom, I loved that post!!! I love your perspective - it really is the little things!!

    ReplyDelete