Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Need some help please!

One thing that will happen to you when your children grow up is that you will go places you have never gone before and learn things you never had any interest in. (Sounds like a Dr. Seuss story, doesn't it?)

I know I will leave something out, but my children have helped me become experts in soccer, baseball, football, chauffering, room mothering, dance team, PTA, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, tennis, track, ASB government, mock trial, swimming, marching band, uniform fitting, being a board member, snack stand managing and now this.

I am told this is called Water Polo - sometimes H20 Polo for short! Similar to soccer, there is a goal at each end and you get a point for each goal scored. Not similar to soccer, where a blowout is 6-2, or something like that - I witnessed a 16-2 game. Not pretty. Lots of new rules to learn but we are having fun doing so. Have also been reminded vividly how miserable working a snackstand can be.....

Have seen some very long arms make some pretty tricky, graceful shots. Hard shots, too. And right on top of the goalee. Not a fun position. I bet goalees have a lot of missing teeth.

Am amazed that no one ever complains about the silly caps they must wear, but since they must wear them I guess that's why no one complains. Maybe once I get a little more used to them they won't appear so silly looking.


Water Polo players NEVER rest. Even if you're not swimming from one end of the pool to the other, you are still treading - excuse me....egg beatering water. Even during a time out, the players don't hang on the side of the pool while the coach talks to them - they tread water while they listen.
And I have learned that it is a Speedo, not Speedos, as in "Mom, do you know where my Speedo is?" Makes no sense, because my reply would by "In your room by your pants" instead of "In your room by your pant."
Lots more to learn. Be sure and stay humble. If you don't, your kids will get you that way very quickly.
Thanks everybody. It has been quite a ride and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Would ever so gladly do it all over again!!

4 comments:

  1. Austen looks good in the pool. Wish I could be there to see him play! Ove you guys and miss the heck out of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post!! You will be an expert at H20 polo before you know it - you are SO good at taking a real interest in all of your children's activties and becoming an expert at it all - what an amazing mom. :) Austen looks awesome!!! Wish I could watch him live! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dang! I'm way behind! Great pictures - your learning curve is great. I'm still learning the football rules/positions. We may catch up to eachother soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm even more behind. I need a schedule so I can see a league game please!

    ReplyDelete